News

Chargers Announce Move To Los Angeles, Unveil New Logo

The San Diego Chargers are making some big changes.

Chargers Announce Move To Los Angeles, Unveil New Logo

Team president and CEO Dean Spanos announced Thursday morning that the franchise is moving to Los Angeles, and then shortly afterward, the organization revealed their brand new logo:

Some think the new logo slightly resembles that of Los Angeles’ beloved baseball team, the Dodgers.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

The Chargers released the following statement by Spanos regarding their move to L.A.:

“After much deliberation, I have made the decision to relocate the Chargers to Los Angeles, beginning with the 2017 NFL season.

“San Diego has been our home for 56 years.  It will always be part of our identity, and my family and I have nothing but gratitude and appreciation for the support and passion our fans have shared with us over the years.

“But today, we turn the page and begin an exciting new era as the Los Angeles Chargers.

“LA is a remarkable place, and while we played our first season there in 1960 and have had fans there ever since, our entire organization knows that we have a tremendous amount of work to do.  We must earn the respect and support of LA football fans.  We must get back to winning.  And, we must make a meaningful contribution, not just on the field, but off the field as a leader and champion for the community.

“The Chargers are determined to fight for LA and we are excited to get started.”

Spanos had informed NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell and some fellow owners Wednesday that he intended to move the franchise to Los Angeles, leaving the team’s home for 56 years to share a new stadium with the L.A. Rams, a person with knowledge of the situation told USA TODAY Sports.

The person requested anonymity because Spanos had not yet told the team’s staff or San Diego officials about his decision, which was first reported Wednesday night by ESPN.

The mayor of Inglewood, California James Butts stated late Wednesday that he is scheduled to speak with Spanos on Thursday regarding the possibility of holding a press conference in Inglewood next week. The new stadium is scheduled to open there in 2019. In the meantime, the source stated the Chargers have an agreement to play at least the next two seasons in the SutbHub Cener in nearby Carson.

The San Diego Padres of the MLB rapidly responded to the Chargers’ move by saying they were disappointed by the NFL team’s decision.

San Diego previously lost two NBA teams to other cities: the Clippers and Rockets. The San Diego Sports Arena where both teams played opened a year before Qualcomm Stadium and is still being used by the Gulls, a minor-league hockey affiliate of the NHL’s Anaheim Ducks.

Los Angeles now has two NFL teams after going 21 years without any, until last year, when the Rams moved back from St. Louis. The Chargers played one season in L.A. in 1960 before moving to San Diego in 1961.

SAN DIEGO, CA – JANUARY 01: Antonio Gates is congratulated by teammates Derek Watt #34 and Jeremy Butler #88 of the San Diego Chargers after Gates scored his 111th career touchdown against the Kansas City Chiefs during the first half of a game at Qualcomm Stadium on January 1, 2017 in San Diego, California. Gates tied the NFL record on the play (Photo by Donald Miralle/Getty Images)

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Vikings’ Jamal Adams Out For Season With Knee Injury

Minnesota Vikings defender Jamal Adams will miss the entirety of the 2026 season after suffering…

16 hours ago

Warriors Rookie Yaxel Lendeborg Talks Trash About Dillon Brooks Ahead of Rookie Season

Golden State Warriors rookie forward Yaxel Lendeborg wasted little time establishing his competitive edge, throwing…

16 hours ago

Von Miller Signs With Hometown Cowboys In One-Year Deal

Future Hall of Fame pass rusher Von Miller is heading home. The Dallas Cowboys announced…

17 hours ago

Joshua Báez Makes MLB History With 3 Home Runs In Cardinals Debut

St. Louis Cardinals rookie outfielder Joshua Báez etched his name into the MLB record books…

2 days ago

Falcon’s James Pearce Jr. Suspended 8 Games By NFL For Stalking Incident Involving Ex, WNBA Star Rickea Jackson

Atlanta Falcons edge rusher James Pearce Jr. has been suspended for the first eight games…

4 days ago

Drew Allar & Will Howard Impress As Steelers Cruise Past Packers In Preseason Opener – Aaron Rodgers Doesn’t Play

The Pittsburgh Steelers opened their 2026 preseason with a convincing 28-9 victory over the Green…

4 days ago