News

Carl Edwards To Retire From NASCAR Healthy And With No Regrets

Carl Edwards announced his immediate retirement from NASCAR in a press conference Wednesday at Joe Gibbs Racing. A source with direct knowledge of the situation revealed this on Tuesday, although the person was not authorized to speak publicly.

Carl Edwards To Retire From NASCAR Healthy And With No Regrets

Edwards, 37, said he has no plans to race again, although he added he wouldn’t use the term “retirement.” The race also said the timing to leave is right because he is satisfied with his career and because the schedule is grueling.

Edwards also said Dale Earnhardt Jr.’s battle with concussions also affected his decision to step away from racing.

“It’s a risky sport,” Edwards said. “I am aware of the risks. I don’t like how it feels to take the hits that we take. I’m a sharp guy, and I want to be a sharp guy in 30 years. Those risks are something that I want to minimize. … Like anybody in a contact sport, I realize that there might be long-term consequences to that stuff. That is a piece of the puzzle [on the decision].”

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Edwards will be replaced by Daniel Suarez, the first-ever full-time Mexican-born driver in the Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series. Suarez won the Xfinity Series championship last season.

The newly-retired driver spent the past two years with JGR and had one year left on his deal.

“I can’t come up with a good reason why now isn’t a good time [to stop racing]. … I’m not going to say this whole thing was easy or clean or perfect,” said Edwards, who owns a farm and said he also could be interested in broadcasting. “There was no epiphany moment. This has been something that I really thought a lot about. Part of me went back and forth.”

Edwards has 28 Cup wins and has finished second for the championship twice, in 2008 and 2011. The second time, he lost to Tony Stewart on a tiebreaker.

NASCAR chairman and CEO Brian France released a statement following Edwards’ announcement.

“Carl Edwards has made an indelible mark on NASCAR,” he said. “His hard-charging driving style has led to memorable moments that will live forever in the history of our sport. Carl’s passion and personality will greatly be missed — as will the signature backflips that NASCAR fans have come to expect following his victories. We wish Carl nothing but the best as he enters this next phase in life.”

Edwards had a chance at the championship in each of the past two years. He failed to reach the championship round in 2015,  when rain shortened the race at Phoenix. He was one of the four finalists in 2016. Last year, he was leading on a late restart in the championship race when he attempted to block Joey Logano– and crashed out as a result.

Edwards came onto the Cup scene in 2004, when he showed promise after replacing Jeff Burton in Roush Racing’s No. 99 car.

FORT WORTH, TX – NOVEMBER 06: Carl Edwards, driver of the #19 Sport Clips Toyota, races under caution during the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series AAA Texas 500 at Texas Motor Speedway on November 6, 2016 in Fort Worth, Texas. (Photo by Robert Laberge/Getty Images)

Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Vikings’ Jamal Adams Out For Season With Knee Injury

Minnesota Vikings defender Jamal Adams will miss the entirety of the 2026 season after suffering…

10 hours ago

Warriors Rookie Yaxel Lendeborg Talks Trash About Dillon Brooks Ahead of Rookie Season

Golden State Warriors rookie forward Yaxel Lendeborg wasted little time establishing his competitive edge, throwing…

10 hours ago

Von Miller Signs With Hometown Cowboys In One-Year Deal

Future Hall of Fame pass rusher Von Miller is heading home. The Dallas Cowboys announced…

11 hours ago

Joshua Báez Makes MLB History With 3 Home Runs In Cardinals Debut

St. Louis Cardinals rookie outfielder Joshua Báez etched his name into the MLB record books…

2 days ago

Falcon’s James Pearce Jr. Suspended 8 Games By NFL For Stalking Incident Involving Ex, WNBA Star Rickea Jackson

Atlanta Falcons edge rusher James Pearce Jr. has been suspended for the first eight games…

3 days ago

Drew Allar & Will Howard Impress As Steelers Cruise Past Packers In Preseason Opener – Aaron Rodgers Doesn’t Play

The Pittsburgh Steelers opened their 2026 preseason with a convincing 28-9 victory over the Green…

3 days ago