Categories: News

Brandon Marshall Voices Concern For Johnny Manziel

New York Jets wide receiver Brandon Marshall spoke publicly about the recent events revolving around Cleveland Browns quarterback Johnny Manziel on the set of Super Bowl Live.

Marshall is a big time advocate for mental health and shared a personal story regarding the former Heisman Trophy winner.  “May 3, 2011, at 9:35, I prepared a letter to the Miami Dolphins, this was during the lockout, and whoever else in the NFL that I had to send it to. And this was a letter stating that I was going to walk away from football because my life was in turmoil and it was a mess. I spent three months in the outpatient program at McClean Hospital where I did a neurological evaluation and a clinical evaluation to see if I was even capable of changing with what I was dealing with.”

Marshall explained that his issue doesn’t have anything to do with football, but said Manziel as a person just needs help. “So, for me, this has nothing to do with football. Johnny Manziel needs to walk away from the game, maybe even go to McClean hospital, and get his life under control. This young man has a serious issue. I feel for him, I understand what he’s going through, and I wish him well. But, all of us in the NFL and surrounding the NFL need to know that this is a serious issue and I pray that he gets the help that he needs.”

Manziel has been involved in a number of incidents since being drafted 22nd overall in 2014 out of Texas A&M. These incidents include fighting with his girlfriend in October, which resulted in Manziel admitting he had been drinking earlier in the day, a video of him partying that surfaced just after a week after Browns’ coach Mike Pettine named Manziel the starter for the rest of the 2015 season, he was demoted to third string after reportedly lying about the video, and he was seen at a Las Vegas casino on Jan. 2, the day before Cleveland’s final game of the season.  Manziel was reportedly wearing a disguise that included a blond wig and fake mustache. Manziel also failed to show up to the Browns’ facilities on Jan. 3 to meet with team doctors regarding his concussion.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Manziel’s behavior led the Browns announcing they will cut him on March 9, when the new league year officially begins. Manziel has also been dropped by LRMR, LeBron James‘ marketing company.  Manziel’s agent, Erik Burkhardt, has also announced he will no longer represent the quarterback.

Manziel’s father, Paul Manziel, told the Dallas Morning News, “I truly believe if they can’t get him help, he won’t live to see his 24th birthday.”

 

Nick Vigliotti

Recent Posts

Thunder’s Alex Caruso Goes Viral For Shoving Camera Away From Huddle During Tense Moment

We are witnessing a historic NBA playoff series. Basketball needed this—potential new rivals, the Oklahoma…

21 hours ago

Will Pep Guardiola Leave Man City As The GOAT?

Pep Guardiola is nearing the end of one of the most successful runs in soccer…

21 hours ago

PGA Championship Winner Aaron Rai Credits His Success To Wife Bishnoi – Who Frequently Beats Him

Aaron Rai has been one of golf's finest talents.Rai, who recently captured his first major…

1 day ago

NFL Sends Jaxon Smith-Njigba Wrong Trophy: ‘It’s Getting Disrespectful At This Point’

Seattle Seahawks' star Jaxon Smith-Njigba has another reason to feel pissed off.JSN posted a video…

1 day ago

Urban Meyer Loses His Bid For $30M Payday From Jaguars After Firing ‘For Cause’

Urban Meyer took another L in the NFL. It’s been four years, and the Jacksonville…

1 day ago

Joe Flacco, 41, Says NFL Teams Were ‘Dumb’ Not To Make Him A Starting QB: ‘It Pisses Me Off!’

Joe Flacco recently signed a one-year contract worth $6 million to return to the Cincinnati…

3 days ago