News

Belgian Olympian Kim Meylemans Released From Isolation After Pleas From IOC

Belgian Olympian Kim Meylemans has been released from isolation in Beijing after pleading for help due to her treatment ahead of the games.

The 25-year-old skeleton racer was forced into isolation after she tested positive for Covid-19 upon arrival in the Chinese capital.

Mistakenly thinking she could return to the Olympic Village after three days of isolation and two consecutive negative tests, she was instead taken to a separate government facility. Fighting back tears, she said she may never get to enter the Olympic Village.

Hours after her cries for help Wednesday, the International Olympic Committee (IOC) intervened and secured her release.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

“I am now in a wing that is just isolation, but at least I am back in the village,” Meylemans said on Instagram. “I feel safe and I’ll be able to train a little better here.”

Meylemans said she tested negative a dozen times prior to her departure and was miffed by her positive result.

Meylemans’ story is one of many highlighting the strict measures in China—one of the few places continuing to adhere to a zero-COVID policy.

Another measure is the “Closed Loop System”—a bubble housing all the games completely cut off from the rest of the city and its wider population.

Anyone inside testing positive will be immediately removed; symptomatic patients will be sent to a designated hospital, while asymptomatic people will be taken to isolation. Their bubble return won’t be allowed until all symptoms disappear and they consecutively test negative.

Some positive-testing athletes have given up any hope of competing.

Russian Olympic Committee’s biathlete Valeria Vasnetsova said her hopes were dashed after two positive tests on her Beijing arrival. American bobsledder Elana Meyers Taylor was also forced into isolation after testing positive for the virus two days after her arrival last week.

“This is just the latest obstacle that my family and I have faced on this journey, so I’m remaining optimistic that I’ll be able to recover quickly and still have the opportunity to compete,” the latter said.

Overall, there have been more than 280 COVID cases—102 of which coming from athletes and team officials—coming from inside the (alleged) closed loop.

Andrew Corselli

Recent Posts

Kyle Tucker, With $240 Million Contract, Booed At Dodger Stadium As Slump Deepens

Dodgers fans turned on Kyle Tucker at Dodger Stadium on Sunday, booing the outfielder after…

13 hours ago

WNBA Stars Paige Bueckers & Azzi Fudd Are Finally Talking About Being A Couple, On Their Own Terms

Paige Bueckers and Azzi Fudd are stepping into the spotlight to discuss their romantic relationship…

13 hours ago

Giants Sign Najee Harris, Release JuJu Smith-Schuster in Roster Shakeup

The New York Giants made two notable roster moves on Tuesday, signing running back Najee…

13 hours ago

Vikings’ Jamal Adams Out For Season With Knee Injury

Minnesota Vikings defender Jamal Adams will miss the entirety of the 2026 season after suffering…

2 days ago

Warriors Rookie Yaxel Lendeborg Talks Trash About Dillon Brooks Ahead of Rookie Season

Golden State Warriors rookie forward Yaxel Lendeborg wasted little time establishing his competitive edge, throwing…

2 days ago

Von Miller Signs With Hometown Cowboys In One-Year Deal

Future Hall of Fame pass rusher Von Miller is heading home. The Dallas Cowboys announced…

2 days ago