News

Barcelona Manager Luis Enrique Says He ‘Didn’t See’ Cristiano Ronaldo Win FIFA Best Player Award

Luis Enrique aimed a sly dig at Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo after the Portuguese star earned yet another individual award.

Barcelona Manager Luis Enrique Says He ‘Didn’t See’ Cristiano Ronaldo Win

The Barcelona manager was being asked about the Best FIFA Football Awards, and among the questions was one about Ronaldo, who won the Best FIFA Men’s Player 2016 trophy in Zurich on Monday.

Enrique kept his answer short and sweet, like any decent manager would when being asked about another club’s player.

“I haven’t seen TV, I haven’t watched TV in the last week,” said Enrique. He then added: “So I haven’t seen the spectacle that you’re talking about.”

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Whether the Spaniard really didn’t see the awards ceremony, or whether he did but simply refused to acknowledge Ronaldo as the winner of that award, we likely won’t truly know. What was evident, however, was the cheeky tone with which he made this assertion.

Ronaldo, who will be 32 in February, received 34.54% of the total vote to beat Barcelona and Argentina striker Lionel Messi (26.42%) and Atletico Madrid’s French forward Antoine Griezmann (7.53%).

“I had a lot of doubts but the trophy showed that I lived up to that. After I won what I did, I had no doubts,” Ronaldo said. “It was a year that was magnificent on a personal level, on a sports level. I would like to thank very warmly everybody who voted for me. To the fans, to the other players, to the media: Thank you.”
Ronaldo scored 51 goals in club competitions last season as Real Madrid missed out on the La Liga title to Barcelona by a point. Messi and several other major Barcelona players missed Monday’s awards, which were co-hosted by Hollywood actress Eva Longoria.
Griezmann was named the top player in the Spanish league last season, helping Atletico reach third in La Liga, and to its second Champions League final in three years, this time falling to Real in a penalty shootout.
The 25-year-old also helped lead France to the Euro 2016 finals last summer. Although France lost the title game to Portugal, Griezmann finished with a tournament-leading six goals.
Voters from fans account for 25% of the FIFA awards, and the same amount is allocated to members of the world’s press. National team coaches and captains also comprise 25% of the voting each.
FIFA had run its awards jointly with the Ballon d’Or for the past five years, but that agreement with Football France magazine has ended and both awards ceremonies are now held separately.
BILBAO, SPAIN – JANUARY 05: Head coach Luis Enrique of FC Barcelona reacts during the Copa del Rey Round of 16 first leg match between Athletic Club and FC Barcelona at San Mames Stadium on January 5, 2017 in Bilbao, Spain. (Photo by Juan Manuel Serrano Arce/Getty Images)
Pablo Mena

Writer and assistant editor for usports.org. NY Giants and Rangers fan. Film and TV enthusiast (especially Harry Potter and The Office) and lover of foreign languages and cultures.

Recent Posts

Thunder’s Alex Caruso Goes Viral For Shoving Camera Away From Huddle During Tense Moment

We are witnessing a historic NBA playoff series. Basketball needed this—potential new rivals, the Oklahoma…

21 hours ago

Will Pep Guardiola Leave Man City As The GOAT?

Pep Guardiola is nearing the end of one of the most successful runs in soccer…

21 hours ago

PGA Championship Winner Aaron Rai Credits His Success To Wife Bishnoi – Who Frequently Beats Him

Aaron Rai has been one of golf's finest talents.Rai, who recently captured his first major…

1 day ago

NFL Sends Jaxon Smith-Njigba Wrong Trophy: ‘It’s Getting Disrespectful At This Point’

Seattle Seahawks' star Jaxon Smith-Njigba has another reason to feel pissed off.JSN posted a video…

1 day ago

Urban Meyer Loses His Bid For $30M Payday From Jaguars After Firing ‘For Cause’

Urban Meyer took another L in the NFL. It’s been four years, and the Jacksonville…

1 day ago

Joe Flacco, 41, Says NFL Teams Were ‘Dumb’ Not To Make Him A Starting QB: ‘It Pisses Me Off!’

Joe Flacco recently signed a one-year contract worth $6 million to return to the Cincinnati…

3 days ago