News

Aaron Donald Wants To Move On From Practice Incident

In an interview Wednesday, Los Angeles Rams star defender Aaron Donald downplayed the severity of his actions in a joint practice with the Cincinnati Bengals last week. During an altercation between the two teams that resulted in a halt to the practice, Donald was seen swinging a Bengals player’s helmet near other players.

“It was just a practice. It was football,” Donald told the AP Pro Football  podcast. “I don’t really wanna go back to nothing negative that happened and talk about something that happened in a practice. My main focus is Buffalo.”

Donald was not the only one implicated, as a number of players on both teams were involved in multiple skirmishes across the field. Photos and video of Donald during the fight gained the most attention, however, as the seven-time All-Pro is a leader on the Rams as well as the league.

Subscribe to our free weekly newsletter!

A week of sports news in your in-box.
We find the sports news you need to know, so you don't have to.

Donald said that he had already come to terms with Head Coach Sean McVay and his teammates since the skirmishes.

Because teams, not the league, are typically responsible for player conduct at practice, it is unlikely that Donald or others involved will face disciplinary action for the incident. The two teams played against one another in their final preseason game last weekend without incident.

Following the altercation, McVay did not seem concerned with disciplining his players, but instead expressed concern about self-inflicted setbacks for players.

“You just never know what can occur,” McVay told reporters. “And my biggest concern is just unnecessary injuries for people that we’re counting on.”

Tension between the two teams likely stemmed from their Super Bowl matchup last year, when the Rams defeated the Bengals 23-20. Both teams are widely considered postseason contenders as the regular season approaches, though their paths won’t cross again this season unless both teams make it to the Super Bowl.

Addressing his main focus going into the season, Donald told AP that he was looking to make the most of the time he has left in the league.

“Being an older player, 31 years old, being able to have the work ethic I got, the one thing that I needed to do a lot better is recover and take care of my body,” Donald said. “That’s my main focus. I’ve got the work ethic and now making sure I have the recovery part so I can play at a high level.”

As Donald mentioned, the Rams will take on the Buffalo Bills in Week 1 on September 8.

Patrick Moquin

Recent Posts

Matthew Stafford Stays In L.A. With $55 Million, 1-Year Contract

Matthew Stafford is getting paid.The Los Angeles Rams officially agreed to a new contract extension…

1 day ago

Will Lebron James Take A Pay Cut To Help Build A Championship Team?

LeBron James, 41, remains the biggest topic of any NBA offseason storyline.Questions are swirling around…

1 day ago

Heated Fan Exchange Involving Rory McIlroy During the PGA Championship Spotlights Role Of Fans’ Behavior In Golf

Rory McIlroy found himself involved in a heated exchange with a fan during the final…

2 days ago

Eagles’ Star Nolan Smith Arrested For Driving 135 MPH, Mugshot Released

Philadelphia Eagles pass rusher Nolan Smith was arrested May 15 after allegedly driving 135 mph…

2 days ago

49ers’ George Kittle Shows Loyalty To His Oklahoma Roots In Thunder V. Spurs Series

George Kittle is one of the greatest tight ends in NFL history, but people often…

2 days ago

The Case For Alex Caruso: Why Thunder Needs Him Now

Alex Caruso had an insane performance in game one of the Western Conference finals versus…

2 days ago